Are Systems owners made aware of unscheduled changes to server and service configurations with the potential to affect service uptime, before these result in critical failure ?
DocCloud BI Suite for IT Operations provides a unique ability to track and analyze configuration changes both daily and a historic perspective.
You may already be using the ITIL framework to ensure you are in control of the change process, which in turn should result in changes not being implemented without prior approval?
But how about the unapproved and undocumented configuration changes which are often performed alongside the approved changes during a service window?
Most IT departments are met with the challenge of budget restrains; Basically cutting the cost of production. In an IT department, this typically translate into reducing the spend on consultants and the cost of manpower. Building and maintaining proper configuration documentation is a time consuming and most of all costly task.
How much time and resources does your IT department spend on this task on a yearly basis, and does the current level of documentation satisfy the company requirements and governmental legislation?
The majority of companies which have started the process of ensuring their IT infrastructure adhere to the new EU legislation on Person Data protection, are focusing on the dataflow and the intended user access controls. Far fewer companies, public or private, pays attention to the requirements of configuration documentation and the need for configuration change visibility.
From a management point of view, the comprehensive documentation provided automatically, eases the time spend on manually maintaining documentation, as the various features and modules gives management:
- The choice to extend existing configuration change processes and procedures. As change managers will have the option to validate the intended configuration change against the actual configuration changes performed.
- The ability to quickly and easily identify configuration changes made to the infrastructure.
- Monitoring and alerting capabilities, enabling the notification of system owners upon configuration changes to critical services.A quick and simple way to deliver requested data for audit report.
The ability to identify and track out-of-band configuration changes to servers and services daily.
- Always up-to-date configuration documentation.
- Reduction of cost and complexity during disaster recovery.
- Datamining capabilities on historic configuration changes to help identify trends and threats.
- The ability to validate the deliverables of outsourcing providers and document potential SLA violation.
- Reduction of both human and financial cost of developing and maintaining IT configuration documentation.
DocCloud BI Suite for IT Operations provides an in-depth view of both historical and current server configurations, as well as the ability to identify critical out-of-band changes when they occur and notify system owners. Thus, helping to ensure uniform server configurations and ultimately a higher level of security.